What it was:
Talk by a senior MOD leader to the ISS leadership cohort in Corsham on 9 October 2018.
What I learned:
- You are a highly evolved ape!
- Think about the psychological environment you create for your team
- Systems of thinking, fast and slow
- Self awareness is key
- Create an environment that encourages Reasonable Challenge
A simple framework for leadership:
- A leader leads three things: issues, people and change.
- The product: must be credible, consistent, defensible, logical, viable
- Stakeholders: use empathy, trust and assertiveness
- Be effective at what you do. This is fundamental to leadership.
- Be a time traveller; see five years hence, and reflect on how things have moved.
- Have a clear view of success and failure, beware the dangers of linear narratives,
- take a probabilistic view of success and failure
- Be human: learn about your people, which team they support, their children’s names.
- Change happens to us. We adapt to change. Therefore leading change is really just leading adaptation.
- In essence it’s the role of the leader to force the adaptation
- Evolution is a good analogy – it can be gradual or drama
- Reputation is the only real currency of leadership: The metric is what will people be saying about you / this in five years time
- There are many different leadership models, both quiet and loud
- Lead through people
- Make sure the team is adapting
- Be conscious of your reputation
What I will aim to do differently as a result:
- Think about things in terms of issues, people and change – not just issues
- Use the framework above as a way of organising my planning time
- Ask my people about themselves more.