What it was:
Review of a case study from the CIPR Awards for social media campaigns – MSL Group’s campaign -“Always #LIKEAGIRL”
What I learned:
Key points from the campaign:
- Activity was based on solid research insight (confidence plummeting at puberty).
- Activity was very much in line with the grain of the brand’s previous activity i.e. supporting women and aspiration
- Turned a well-worn pejorative on its head.
- Global message was managed seamlessly across continents.
- Campaign created an empowering call to action which has potential to become a movement.
- Campaign harnessed celebrities and social media influencers.
- Content yielded a very large number of earned media placements (approx 1900)
What I will aim to do differently as a result:
Use insight and research to understand pain-points and concerns for the target audience.
Make sure activity is in keeping with and strengthens any existing brand values or history.
As a potential creative avenue, explore common uses of language around the audience or topic and see if these can be subverted or challenged.
Think about whether a campaign can generate a movement which has life beyond the campaign.