What it was:
An introductory session to the residential Future Leaders Scheme (FLS) residential module at Ashridge.
The objectives of the module:
- Build network and relationships
- Develop personal leadership development Goals
- Gain insight into your leadership strengths and styles
- Insight into how your behaviours impact others
- Aware of neurological and physiological responses to pressure
- Develop your own leadership brand
What I learned:
Watch out for crises – they can be addictive!
It’s lonely at the top and you can trust the feedback you get less and less. Have a small number of confidantes.
Leading change and transformation is the leadership required in the high uncertainty, high disagreement quadrant.
Management is doing things right – Leadership is doing the right thing.
An organisation can be thought of in different ways, as a Newtonian machine, as a natural system, or as a psychic prison of what you can and can’t do.
Peter Robertson: all business efforts undergo an s-curve of success followed by decline. Successful organisations jump as their s-curve dies.
What I will aim to do differently as a result:
- Build relationships with a small number of senior confidantes.
- Try to write down my personal brand.
- Ask the team whether they are being stretched, being challenged, being developed.
- Think about whether I occupy the same role in leadership at work as I did or do in my family.